Fortres

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Wed Feb 4 16:56:00 EST 1998

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Judy McBrian wrote:

> I want to create desktop internet shortcuts on pc's in the Children's
> room that are connected to the net by ISDN.  Fortres lets me create, but
> will not let users access the site by clicking the shortcuts.  I'm
> pretty sure this can be done, but rather than bonk around in Fortres (to
> "bonk" by the way, IS a technical term) I thought I'd ask all the gurus
> on the list(s)

We also use Fortres.

We have an online subscription, limited to one IP address, and wanted to
have a icon on the desktop to launch Netscape directly to that page. (this
sounds like what you want to do)  I ended up "manually" creating the
shortcut. Probably the simplest way (I am working from memory here,
though) is to create a desktop shortcut for your browser, be it NS or IE,
edit properties, then add the URL for the page to the end of the command
line.  This should give the same effect as your internet shortcut did, and
it should also work under Fortres.

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466