OCLC telco costs in Universal Service applications

Angela Scherer ascherer at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 27 19:33:50 EST 1998

Barbara,

The following is an excerpt of email forwarded from a representative at
the California State Library as well as a link to the issue on the OCLC
website:

OCLC has a "Frequently Asked Questions; E-Rates and OCLC" on its web
site at
the following address:

http://www.oclc.org/oclc/telecom/e_ratefaq.htm#qualify

One of their statements is:

"Since OCLC is neither a qualifying institution nor a qualifying service
provider, OCLC is unable to draw funds from the Universal Service Fund.
As
a consequence, OCLC's access methods do not qualify for reimbursement
for
E-Rates which the library might qualify if it were to buy certain
telecommunications services from a qualifying telecommunications
provider.
The lines, modems, and other carrier-related costs of providing
dedicated
multi-drop access all fall into the above category, and as such are not
eligible for E-Rate discount from OCLC."

Elsewhere it says:

"Internet access services obtained by an eligible library from an
Internet
Service Provider (ISP) and subsequently used to gain access to OCLC
services
may, under certain circumstances, be eligible for E-Rate discounts from
the
ISP.  These arrangements would be made directly between the library and
the
ISP."
=

--
Angela Scherer
email:  ascherer at pacbell.net
voice: (714) 288-2565  fax: (714) 744-8390