Netscape Kiosk mode

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 27 15:07:22 EST 1998

For those interested in exploring this area more fully, you should know
that Netscape Navigator 4.x implemented some Javascript functions that
allow you to create your own customized navigation bars.  This came in
handy for me when I wanted all the functionality of the Netscape toolbar
while also incorporating a text area to search a database(also done with
Javascript).  The major flaw is that pages will sometimes break you out of
your frameset, causing you to lose your toolbar.

To see an example of this, look at:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/span.htm

If you are using Navigator 4.0, you will be launched into the customized
window, otherwise you'll move into the SPAN database in a more typical
frame environment.

The Javascript functions allow you to:
Move Back
Move Forward
Go Home
Print
Stop

Some, but not all, of these also work with MSIE 4.0

BTW, I used some Javascript functions to mimic the effect of buttons being
clicked.  It can be a little flaky but it comes close.

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI