Netscape Kiosk mode

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 27 12:51:55 EST 1998

Robin,

That's why Navigator prompts you before closing the original window
precisely because it considers this a security risk.  Actually, a number
of sites use this type of function to open full and partial screen
windows, to allow them to better display their pages.

For those more interested in a radical variation on this concept, check
out Netscape's Developer site at:

http://developer.netscape.com/library/examples/javascript/webwidget/doc.html

The WebTop Widget demonstrated there allows Navigator to take over your
desktop in a way similar to IE4.  Because it includes a signed security
script, it can be opened from a remote site.  It doesn't look to difficult
to configure the various files to meet an individual library's needs.  I'm
sure the more adventurous (bored?) of us out there will let us all know
how to implement it!

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI