Shockwave and public Internet Stations

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Feb 27 12:38:22 EST 1998

First, you should be able to support MIDI files without shockwave as long as
one of two situations is filled.  The first situation is that you have a
sound card in the PC and that sound card supports MIDI.  Also, check the
settings that the MIDI implementation of the card is set correctly.  You can
view the settings by choosing System from the control panel.  In control
panel on my machine, the sound card is under Other.  I/o and irq settings
can be seen there, check for conflicts.  The other situation is that you
have just a MIDI card, which you don't find much of the MPU401 compatibles
around since they have been incorporated in sound cards.  Quite often you
find now that your CD controller is also your sound and midi card all in
one.

Another suggestion is check your Netscape preferences for MIDI files. The
application setting in mine is
C:\WINDOWS\mplayer.exe %1    for MID and RMI files. This is the windows
media palyer, yours might be specified to use a sound card specific accesory
that was installed when the sound card was.

One last case which I don't think really has any bearing but just might is
that MIDI specification just as HTML specification has gone through a
variety of changes since its creation.  An old or new specification may have
certain effects with your MIDI player.

Whether you have or don't have speakers is irregardless in any case seeing
that the connection is only an audio cable.
Hope this helps,

Thomas

Stephanie Kraus wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> The Background-
> We have 3 public Internet  workstations (win 95, Navigator 4.04) with no
> speakers.  Occassionally we have a problem when a web page has music on
> it that automatically plays, we get a "Midi Error" and the patron can
> not go any farther until the "OK" button has been clicked on.  Usually
> not a problem but not all patrons know this.  We have had the suggestion
> that we add the Shockwave plug-in to our stations so that certain web
> pages can be viewed.  I know that shockwave is multimedia and that
> includes audio.
>
> The Question:
> If I add the shockwave plug-in to our Internet stations with no speakers
> will we continually run up against the problem of getting errors due to
> the fact there are no speakers?
>
> Thanks in Advance for your help!
>
> Stephanie Kraus
> Head of Outreach and Internet Services
> Wm. K. Sanford Town Library
> Loudonville, NY 12211

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2795   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received