Network monitoring software -Reply

John Rosenhamer jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us
Thu Feb 19 08:58:22 EST 1998

Good Mooorrring Web4lib,

Got a problem!

Am running our library networking from NT.  And am using Policy Editor to
keep the machines fairly well locked into only using Netscape and not
being able to run other applications.  I use policy editors special folders
of set up the desktop, etc.

This works fine for most of the computers on the network.  BUT a few,
one especially lets lots of programs run.  And students can download,
add to the software, etc.

I did not set this up, so in some ways I'm running blind as I'm not sure if
there is a pointer in the local computer to point it to the server to pick up
its stuff.

My cogent settings in policy editor are: (only listing item turned on)

Default user:
Control Panel
   Display -- Restrict display control Panel
   Network -- Restrict Network Control Panel
   Passwords -- Restrict Passwords Control Panel
   Printers -- Restrict Printers Settings
   System  -- Restrict Systems Control Panel
Desktop
   Wallpaper
   color Scheme
Network (nothing turned on)
Shell
   Custom folders
      Custom program folders
      Custom desktop folders
      Hide start menu subfolders
     Custom folders startup
      Custom Start Menu
   Restrictions
      Remove Run command
      Remove Folders from "Settings" on Start Menu
      Remove Taskbar from "settings" on start menu
      Remove Find command
      Hide Drives in "my computer"
      Hide Network Neighborhood
      No entire network in Net. Neigh.
      No workgroup contents in Net. Neigh.
      Don't save settings on exit
System
   Restrictions
      Disable registry editing tools
      Only run allowed windows applications
          Only run:  Netscape.exe; scandisk.exe, defrag.exe
      Disable MS-Dos prompt.

Default Computer
   Network
     Logon
       Require validation by Network for Windows access
     Update
        Allow remote update.

any information would be appreciated.

John

John H. Rosenhamer                            Technical Service Librarian
Oklahoma City Community College
7777 S. May Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK  73013                     (405) 682-1611 x7229
jrosenhamer at okc.cc.ok.us                   Fax: (405) 682-7585
jrosenhamer at dante.okc.cc.ok.us