Electronic reserves collections

Marty Tanner Hughes mthughes at libris.libs.uga.edu
Thu Feb 19 08:20:39 EST 1998

I have been asked to post these questions to Web4Lib.  Since we'll be
using the Web to provide access to our proposed electronic reserves
collection, I believe it is not too far off topic. Please send
for your assistance.

Marty Tanner Hughes
Asst. Systems Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
mthughes at libris.libs.uga.edu

The University of Georgia is in the beginning stages of information
gathering to explore its options for development of an e-reserves
system. Based on your experiences, answers to the following questions
would be extremely helpful and most appreciated.

1.  Is your system home grown, vendor based (name)?  Approximately how
many items on reserve; % electronically accessed?

2. What personnel changes, if any, happened as a result of automating
reserves?  For example, was new staff added, current staff reassigned,
and which departments affected.   How many FTEs are devoted to
electronic reserves/traditional reserves?  Was automating reserves
labor saving or does it duplicate the work of  traditional reserves?

3.  What is your assessment of patron satisfaction?  Are students
finding it easier to get the information they need?  What happens if
the system goes down?  Does it go down often;  for long periods of
time?  What % of faculty  participate in e-reserves?

4.  If you had it to do over again, what would you change?  What
adjustments did you make to your plans as you got into the project?