CyberSitter and mailbombs

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Feb 10 15:54:11 EST 1998

The following is just the first couple paragraphs of an article from:

<http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/10170.html>http://www.wired.
com/news/news/politics/story/10170.html

Write a Complaint, Get Emailbombed
Janelle Brown

5:40pm 9.Feb.98.PST
Solid Oak is under fire from a woman who says the maker of Cybersitter Web
filtering software launched an email attack against her after she sent it a
critical message. Company officials deny sending Sarah Salls an emailbomb, but
say she belongs to a group that has targeted the firm and was asking for
trouble.
Sarah Salls, a 27-year-old Web designer, says she sent four emails to Solid
Oak
last Wednesday accusing the company of carrying out censorship through its
filtering software. After the email was rejected by several Solid Oak email
accounts - including support, feedback, and CEO Brian Milburn's personal
account, Salls says, she was emailbombed on Thursday.
She says her account received more than 800 emails from support at solidoak.com,
quoting her letter with the subject line "re: your crap" and a message "Do not
send us any more e-mail!"

[vast majority of article deleted.....check it out yourself]

I'm not taking sides on this one, and it sounds like there may be a bit of
fault on both sides.....but some of you who are opposed to CyberSitter being
used in libraries (which I am, but am not opposed to them being in business
for
interested parties to purchase their product) may want to read this before
taking them on.

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  (check out our 1997 holiday letter)