[WEB4LIB] Tool for "breaking up" graphic files for web pages

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sun Dec 27 12:26:55 EST 1998

Charles P. Hobbs wrote:

> There are a number of web pages, like http://www.aafla.org, that consist
> of several graphic files that have been split apart. They load into table
> cells, giving the appearance of a single graphic. But they have the
> flexibility of multiple files (e.g. only parts can be animated, as opposed
> to the whole file, saving file size and download time)
>
> Does anyone know of a tool that allows one to "cut apart" a graphics file
> like this? (I know Photoshop, etc. can do this, but one often has
> difficulty counting pixels, getting the files to line up correctly, etc.)
>
> What I envision is a program that will
> a. load the graphics file
> b. allow one to draw "lines" on the graphic, indicating where it is to be
> split
> c. execute a command to "split" the file and save all the subfiles.

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay in response, but I'm *way* behind on reading my mail.  I
notice that Macromedia Fireworks has been mentioned by a couple of
respondants.  I downloaded a trial version of it, and it does a wonderful job
of slicing.  However, I wasn't that keen on it as an html layout tool, and
preferred the control which Photoshop gave over the files which are saved.

I've switched to GoLive's Cyberstudio for layout and reverted to Photoshop for
the slicing.  It's a bit more time consuming, but you can do it in Photshop.

Position your Photoshop guides on your initial image where you want the images
sliced and save the image.
Make sure "Snap to Guides" is turned on.
Crop your first subimage, do a "Save As" or "Save a Copy" (Photoshop will give
you more control over format and image size)
Revert to the initial saved image and start the process again with the next
sub image.

Cyberstudio does a great job for the layout.  It gives you a table grid which
allows you to just drop the images where you want them, allowing you to
reassemble your images.  You can see the results of my latest project in a
website I worked on for some friends who are filmmakers at
http://www.the-wire.com/spectrum/ .  Film being a visual medium, however, let
me warn you that the site is "graphic intensive."

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Librarian
Spar Aerospace Ltd.
Work: ttripp at spar.ca
Home: ttripp at inforamp.net
### I saw two shooting stars last night,
### I wished on them, but they were only satellites...
### Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
                          - Billy Bragg