[WEB4LIB] Gecko on the go?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Dec 18 10:58:34 EST 1998

Although I've found Gecko to be fast as claimed, it has crashed on my web site
every time I use it.  Now Gecko might not necessarily be to blame, but I do
believe my html and java scripting is correct.  On the home page
http://www.library.appstate.edu/   is a graphic of the Blue Ridge Parkway that
is mapped with four links.  The left third link is a map of Boone, NC. The
center link is the Boone map zoomed out showing western NC and the lower right
third link shows surrounding states.  The fourth link is the text in the upper
right that links to Appalachian State University's homage.  The three maps are
set to show no tool bar, menu bar, or any kind of bar in the top although
gecko doesn't appear to support this where other versions of Navigator does.
I've had gecko crash on other sites too.  I haven't check the minimum
requirements to run the program but I have found that it would not run on a
386/40 mhz at all( with an AMD chip).  I am running on my office PC, a 350mhz
Pentium II, DELL with problems as mentioned above.

I have navigator installed on all of the Library's PCs and run Netscape
Enterprise WEB Server on an ALPHA NT, so I have no bias against Netscape and I
am impressed with the speed of this new product.  Again, I test so many
programs on my PC that something else may be causing the crashing.

Thomas (yes that's really my name)