Gecko on the go?

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Dec 18 08:45:37 EST 1998

A few weeks ago, I asked for a reaction to Netscape's announcement of the
release of Gecko, the layout engine that has emerged from the Mozilla Open
Source effort to create the 5.0 version of Navigator.  At that time, a few
"doubting Thomas's" said "we will believe the hype when we see it!" :)
So, now that there has been time to test-drive this new engine, what do
people think?

I personally am very impressed with the speed at which pages are loaded.
You simply have to watch it layout an entire page like CNN or CNET in
the time it takes one of the 4.0 browsers to get the top headers
displayed.  Others apparently are too.  One commentator thinks its the
best thing since sliced bread.  See:

http://webreference.com/html/gecko/

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician