Excel and Netscape

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Thu Dec 17 20:02:09 EST 1998

I have an Excel file (.xls) for which NNavigator should prompt the user to
download the plug-in and MSIE should download directly.  This works at
present from an AIX/Apache server with a link like this:
<.../folder/folder/excelfile.xls>.

Now I've moved the file to another Apache server and while MSIE downloads
the file properly, NNavigator no longer prompts for the plug-in but opens
instead a single, extended line of goobledygook.

Is this a server configuration issue?  A bug in Netscape?

This matter is time-sensitive.  Quick replies will be deeply appreciated.

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop
Campus-Wide Information System Coordinator
Libraries and Information Services
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th St. Troy, NY, 12180-3590
(518) 276-8332   Fax 276-8559