How slow is that Firewall?

Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us
Thu Dec 17 12:41:28 EST 1998

Hi Web4Lib,

   Several of you were good enough to help me start working on this
problem.  In a nutshell, here's the problem again:

   Staff workstations are on a LAN behind a firewall.  Our Web- and
   telnet-based catalog is outside the firewall.  Access (staff usually use
   telnet) between the two are sometimes very slow -- several seconds'
   delay between action and response.  We have no control over the
   firewall, but do over the workstations and catalog.  How can we tell if
   the firewall (or something else) is causing the delays?

   I have tried Ping and TraceRoute from our workstations, but the firewall
stops those requests from going out.  Is there a way of seeing if it is the
firewall causing the delays?  Is the firewall administrator likely to have
those data?

   Thanks for all your help!

Rich Harrington
rich.harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us