No filtering in Hennepin County (Minn.)

Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us Rich.Harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us
Thu Dec 17 11:56:30 EST 1998

   Since I appreciate hearing about the little victories against filtering
in the library Internet filtering fight, I refer the interested to the
following from Thursday's (Minneapolis) Star Tribune.  Although my library
obviously had an interest in this decision, we are not governed by the
Library Board (we also continue to have open Internet access).  Also, I am
not speaking for the Law Library.  The Hennepin County Library System
serves the suburbs of Minneapolis.

   Hennepin Library Board adopts accessible-Internet policy

   http://www2.startribune.com/cgi-bin/stOnLine/article?thisSlug=LIB17

   (After 12/17 this article might be archived, but you can search for it)

   I particularly liked the last paragraph:

   "At first I wasn't fully aware of the implications on restricting the
   free flow of information," Board Member Mike Opat said. But after
   receiving what he described as "scary telephone calls from the fringe
   religious right" supporting large-scale filtering, he said he has since
   changed his mind, considering his position supporting filters as "my
   number one mistake of the year."

Rich Harrington
rich.harrington at co.hennepin.mn.us
Hennepin County Law Library