[WEB4LIB] Netscape stalls "looking up host"

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Wed Dec 9 10:19:41 EST 1998

Sounds like network trouble.  Are the TCP/IP settings used for the WFW and the
Win95 machines the same, especially with respect to name servers (DNS)?  (It's
the DNS server that resolves host names into IP addresses).

 We list 2 or 3 name servers in our IP configurations; should one machine go
down or not respond for some reason (ie. it's very busy) then the next one in
the list is used to resolve the host name.

It could also be just the slowness of the P75 machines themselves.  I'm
guessing that these machines also have older network cards which probably
don't perform as well as the ones in the P200's.  The Chameleon TCP/IP
protocol probably isn't as fast as the IP implementation in Win95  either.  We
see the same kind of thing with our older machines (Windows for Workgroups,
Microsoft's TCP/IP stack, older 3Com network cards) -- everything that do on
the network takes much longer than newer machines with newer network cards and
Win95.

A few things to try:

- make sure you've got more than one name server in your IP
  configuration (assuming you have more than one machine on your
  network that functions as a name server
- Look for updates/patches for Windows for Workgroups (specifically
  network patches; there are several), the network card, as well as
  the Chameleon TCP/IP protocol
- Try Microsoft's 32-bit TCP/IP stack for Windows for Workgroups
  instead of Chameleon.  We've never tried NetManage's IP stack, so I
  can't really comment on it, but we've used Microsoft's for years
  and it works really well.  And it's free.

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library
  "The Truth Is Out There"