[WEB4LIB] email in libraries

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Dec 9 08:23:24 EST 1998

Elvio,

There is a better way to allow access to POP3 accounts than allowing users
to set the browser preferences to get to it.  This is a page I set up at
my previous job for our patrons to access e-mail.

http://northville.lib.mi.us/freemail.htm

In addition to the links to HotMail, etc. and to Telnet sessions, we
provided links to several on-line services that allow users to access
their accounts on-line and read and respond to messages on-line.  The
messages are not downloaded to the workstation so you don't have to worry
about deleting files.  Try viewing your own account through one of these
services to see how it works.  I would also encourage you to run a browser
without the mail client attached - like Netscape Navigator 4.0
stand-alone.  We found that this eliminated a lot of staff troubleshooting
caused by patrons using the mail client.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Charter Township of Waterford, MI
Waterford Township Public Library