[WEB4LIB] web server? for 2000 student college

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Sat Dec 26 15:44:07 EST 1998

I am using an ALPHA and an INTEL NT Servers with Netscape Enterprise Server on both for WEB delivery.  In your case though, I would suggest Redhat Linux 5.x.  I've just picked up a copy but have not yet installed it on any PCs.  My main understanding from the newest release is that the setup is much easier than earlier distributions of  Linux, at least for those not as UNIX savvy as most.  Also,
their new distribution comes with the Apache Server and several other very good programs including WordPerfect and a C++ compiler or two.  I did notice that the copy I picked up in the student book store is not in the same package as the same version on the shelf in the computer store at the local mall.  I'm not sure of the difference except that mine is the educational version and the commercial
version didn't look like it had as much additional programs on it.  I paid less than $50.00 for the educational version.  This savings in software and client licensing would allow your major finances to focus on better hardware for running your server.  I think the Apache server will support any of the popular multimedia standards that you might propose to use and you should be able to go to Apache's
web site for the newest updates.  Memory and storage : as much as you can afford.  With prices as low as they have been you could easily get a system with 10 or more gigabytes of hard drive and 128 meg of ram.  I'm running the University Library's web server on a machine that only has 64 meg of ram and 4 gigabytes total hard drive space with the web server on a 1 gig partition and the intel server is
only a 75 mhz pentium with an even smaller hard drive.  The intel server is only an NT backup server to the ALPHA.

Depending on how soon you want to get your system, you may want to wait for the new AMD K7 chip that is "suppose" to be out first quarter 99.  This chip will supposedly start at 500mhz and be in more price competition with intel than before.  Info on the AMD K7 can be found at

http://www.tomshardware.com

And, no that's not me, I don't have the time to research all the new hardware that gets reviewed at that site.

m2cw

Thomas