Modifying Internet Explorer 4.0 Toolbar

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Wed Dec 23 21:02:33 EST 1998

I would like to find a (free) way to prevent access to the History folder in MS
Internet Explorer 4.0.  Because IE4 has a history button, it bypasses my
security, which worked in 3.02 by blocking the Options menu.  I do not need
help with securing the address bar or the cache folder.

I searched the MS Knowledge Base, and came up with a brief note which stated in
part:

-----------------------------------
To customize the toolbar

* To add buttons, click the button name in the Available buttons list, and then
click Add

* To remove a button, click the button name in the Toolbar buttons list, and
then click Remove

I am unable to find this list of buttons, and I would appreciate some guidance
in that area.
-----------------------------------

Things which haven't worked or aren't practical:

* The Clear History option is not convenient, because the public account has no
  access to it.  So far, however, it's the only thing that works.

* Deleting the contents of the History folder from the command line doesn't
  seem to work, because this folder is handled differently from others.  I have
  tried hunting down hidden and system files, but it always comes back.

* There are no easily modifiable Registry settings which control this.  There
  are 3 binary keys at

  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\ExplorerBar
  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\Theater
  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\ITBarLayout

  which I cannot decipher, though I suspect one of them controls what buttons
  are loaded.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org