[WEB4LIB] MicroTest

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:21:51 EST 1998

This is long:
Below is a previous reply that I sent to the list describing a scripting
program that allows links to launch programs that can normally be launched
from the command line, or in Win95 from the run box.  I am also using two
Merridian CD Towers holding 14 CD ROMs each and accessing them with NT Scripts
through Merridian's proprietary software which is used normally for DOS or
Windows access.  Although the name says NT it works with Win95, in fact all of
our library workstations access all information via a web interface in which a
few links do call a telnet client, DOS database, or Windows database.  My web
server is a Digital Alpha running NT and Netscape Enterprise server and I am
using Netscape Navigator on all workstations as a client.  The Merridian CD
Tower offers options to run as a stand alone server over ipx/spx or configure
software to run the CD Server from a Novell or NT server.  The advantage in
using an NT or Novell server is that the CDs can be Metered and Balanced, but
not as a stand alone server.  Metering is probably the only tool in this
package that would help with licensing use of databases.  If anyone has any
other questions regarding any combination of these pieces please email me and
I will try to respond swiftly.

Thomas