Redirect and form data

Leif Andersson leif.andersson at bibl.oru.se
Fri Dec 11 12:07:15 EST 1998

(I have searched old postings on redirection, but not found my
particular problem discussed.)

Redirection can be done in many ways.

But how if I want two things to happen:
1. First display a message that the site has moved
2. Then automatically take the visitor to the new place.

I thought I had a solution: a perl script triggered on document not
found.

But. If the visitor had filled in a form and posted, the posted data was
"lost" at the time the new cgi-script was launched.

Then I tried to put "Redirect" in an .htaccess-file to redirect to the
new cgi-script (and just skip the enlightening message I had prepared).
Didn't work either.

At least not with the Netscape 4.04 (Win95) I am using.

I think the HTTP spec is talking about browsers should repost form data
to new URL on redirection. But I could have misunderstood.

Is there a solution to this?
Btw, I am using apache (rather old: 1.1.1)

Leif
--
Leif Andersson, systembibliotekarie
Högskolan i Örebro, Biblioteket