[WEB4LIB] Re: FW: NEW LIBRARY SERVICE

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Aug 31 20:32:51 EDT 1998

This type of service would work good in my situation where we support distance
learning at 3 community colleges each over 30 miles away.  This would save quite a
bit over long distance calls especially since our library is providing the
internet connected computers to support the distance learning program use of our
library.  We have talked about implementing something like this as something like
CuCme might have too much overhead in bandwidth, cost, and support.

Wilfred, how does the librarian receive the message.  Is there a continuous email
checker, push to that client, java, or some other communication or protocol?

Thomas

Mike McGuire wrote:

> And most of the rest of this snipped.
>
> Sounds pretty cool. On the other hand, couldn't you just phone the
> reference desk and get the same results?
>
> Mike McGuire
> Administrator, Traverse Community Network
> Director, Traverse Area District Library

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received