New Library Building Technology

MZaruba malp at startext.net
Wed Aug 26 20:24:47 EDT 1998

The following is my compilation of all the wonderful, helpful
information I have received thru this list in response to my request for
assistance determining what we needed for our new library.  There is so
much for me to learn & until I do, I cannot even ask questions; first I
have to understand.  Then I will get back to those of you who offered to
answer my questions as they arise.

You are all amazing!  Thanks so much.

Marilyn
Mansfield Public Library

Dan Lee of Chandler Public Library in Chandler, Arizona:
· You never have enough data drops.
· Always put two drops in an office.
· Check closely with the architects to make sure the conduit they are
laying will hold all the cable you’ve asked for plus room for more down
the road.
· Internet is the most popular service offered, but not all OPACs have
access to the Internet (This was unanimous with everyone who addressed
the issue.  Otherwise, there will be times when no one can access the
catalog because so many people are getting email, chatting or playing
games.)
· Using Sirsi’s Unicorn software for 13 years.  Relatively inexpensive,
thoroughly modern  & reliable.

Sharon Centanne of St. Petersburg, Florida:
· Newest technology is ATM.  Invite local phone co. to come in & tell
about it or get a technology tour and presentation.
· If you can’t afford a network architect, surf the net, take some ZD
classes on Networking and read some Dummie books.  The more research you
do, the more comfortable you will feel.
· Check with other libraries in your region for info.
· Local university might have students who would work up network
engineering plan for you as part of their coursework.
· Have computer terminals where you can see them from your desk or work
area.
· Best user interface should be user friendly to the novice researchers.

· Plan your interface to serve collection now & be big enough for the
future.
· Call in a bunch of vendors & preview their products.
· Subscribe to PUBLIB-NET

Linda Cannon of Joplin, MO
· If you can get T1 line, go for it.
· Keep machines well within sight of staff
· Clustering helps limit cabling/wiring costs
· Staff can learn to use almost anything--patrons will get fed up really
quickly with kludgy OPACs.
· Be sure that whatever system you buy has some sort of track record of
upgrades.
· OVERWIRE AND OVERCABLE - The biggest problem with libraries and
automation is underestimating  how many things are going to have to be
plugged in/networked.  The cheap way to run cable is lots of it all at
once.  The expensive way is a little at a time.  Figure what you’ll need
in another 3 years & double it.

Julie James, Kansas City Public Library:
· We are already phasing out CD-ROM in favor of net-based products.
Hoping to validate customers off-site.  Much more reliable than any
shared CD configuration.

Judy McBrian, Boonville-Warrick Public Library:
· We only wished we had greater flexibility in the placement of
electrical outlets.
· KISS, keep it simple, stupid!

Rushton Brandis, Oregon State Library
· Next e-rate app. window is scheduled for October ‘98.  Check:
http://www.slcfund.org
· Two ALA LAMA pubs.  Order info. online:
http://www.ala.org/lama/publication/list.html
 Building Blocks for Library Space: Functional Guidelines & Checklist
of    Library Building Design Considerations
· Have a long range planning document with state goals.  See, “Planning
for Results, believed to be available from ALA
· Have an approved technology plan
· Check the LAMA Library Consultants Directory 1997.  From ALA at
1-800-545-2433 x5038

Lyndall Osborne, Maroochy Libraries (Nambour, Queensland, Australia)
· URiCA software marketed by Sanderson in use since ‘91.  In use by all
sizes of libraries.  Use a web-based OPAC that is part of the product.

Norm Reeder of California:
· PLA is releasing a Planning for Technology Book to accompany the new
revised “Planning for Results” called “Wired for the Future:  Developing
Your Technology Plan” due out this month from ALA.

Sue Kamm, the “Friendly CyberGoddess”:
· If there is software which allows online time to be set, I’d install
that on the ‘net-accessible machines if just to save the staff’s sanity.

Sylvia Lee:
· Hired consultant has been worth every dollar.

Teresa Ashley:
· Visit libraries in cities similar to your own.
· Likes  Endeavor Voyager software in the demonstrations she has seen.
Currently using Innovative, but was using Dynix until a few months ago.
DRA is also a good system.  Go to the webcat link & try some of the
other libraries’ catalogs.  You can get to it from the Library of
Congress site.
· Some school furniture catalogs may have better furniture for
children’s /YA  areas.
· Cluster computers.  People seem to help one another when they are
nearby.
· Think about the service you want to supply:  Dial-up service from
home?  Are you networking your CD-ROM products & serving them over the
web?  Will your users be able to access and search the catalog from home
as well as access other electronic and online products?  If so, will ID
numbers be necessary to get to the databases you mount?  Or will most of
the searching be done in the library?
· First of all, decide what your community wants, needs & is willing to
pay for.

My apologies to the very helpful person who directed me to:
http://nysernet.org/TIPS/home.html  This is a VERY, VERY useful site!
I’m glad I bookmarked it before losing your name