Technology for new library

MZaruba malp at startext.net
Tue Aug 18 21:05:51 EDT 1998

We are in the planning stage for a new library to be completed by Jan.
2000.  Planning the building is the easy part, but we are having trouble
with the technology.

We really don't know where to start since we have no one on staff who is
that knowledgeable about T1 lines or ISDN lines or cable or what would
be best for our needs.  Should every OPAC also be an Internet terminal
with access to various research CDs?  What is best for the children's
area?  Should OPACs be clustered? What automation software should we
choose for a medium-sized library?  We are currently automated, but feel
it is time to get a different system for various reasons.

There are just a million questions & I certainly do not expect anyone on
this list  to answer them, but I would like to know how you go about
finding the answers?  A consultant would be nice, but there would be
very little money for that & then comes the question...How do you find a
good consultant and then how do you get the most information out of
him/her for the least cost?

We want to find out what the very best system would be if we were able
to get a technology grant.  We prefer a system that would work for us
for about 5 to 10 years down the line with only minor adjustments here &
there.  I realize that is overly optimistic, but we need to be as
farsighted as possible and we need to get some preliminary ideas in
place because the architect is ready to start working on the plans.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.  How did other libraries
do it?  What did your library find out the hard way? What would you do
differently?

Is this even the right list for this problem?

TIA.

Marilyn Zaruba
Mansfield Public Library