[WEB4LIB:14781] HTML CODE QUESTION

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 12 12:35:24 EDT 1998

The HTML 4.0 specification, Appendix A: "The following elements are
obsolete: LISTING, PLAINTEXT, and XMP.  For all of them, authors should
use the PRE element instead."  Of course, it's something of a news event
if Netscape supports something from HTML 4.0; HTML 3.2 shows XMP as
deprecated in the DTD but calls it obsolete in the description at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32.html.

That aside, I don't see this problem with NC4.5b1, but it is a first beta
and is more likely to act flaky than official releases.

And *that* aside, I would tag this as either:

  <pre>
  &lt;html&gt;
  &lt;script type="text/javascript&gt;...
  </pre>

Or:

  &lt;script type="text/javascript&gt;...
  </code></p>

The cumbersome part of this, of course, is handling the < and >
characters, but a good search and replace will handle that.  At this
point, there isn't any way to mark up HTML to reliably ignore < and >.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu