MS Index Server and pdf files

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Thu Aug 20 19:33:28 EDT 1998

Hi

I posted a message a few weeks ago about not being able to get MS
Index Server to index the text of pdf files. I managed to get it
sorted so for the sake of the web4lib archive here is the solution.

I downloaded the latest beta version of adobes ifilter from
http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/LIBRARY/4e06.htm
I tried installing and following all the installaytion instructions
but still no text indexed. I then uninstalled every piece of adobe
software on the server and reinstalled  just the ifilter, followed
the extra step of editing the registry outlined in the above URL and
we were in business. I think the problem was due to having  the adobe
acrobat reader installed before the the ifilter, which messed up the
registry entries required by the ifilter.

It is now actually a reasonably  useable and customisable search
engine for our  small IIS website  (and  best of all free). I just need
to get the custom META tags sussed.

Regards
Glen

Glen Davies