[WEB4LIB] RE: Redirect html->cgi?

Vladislav S. Davidzon vladislav at davidzon.com
Thu Aug 20 17:02:43 EDT 1998

Yes, I should have mentioned this.  Using the META tags I suggested, the
back button does get
slightly confused ;)  It goes back to the redirect page, which then bounces
the user back to the page that the redirect points to [in this case the cgi
script] effectively disabling the back button.  I've noticed some sites that
use this technique to keep people on their site [specifically a certain
rather weird web design company whose site I visited just a few days ago...
They apparently think that if they force their customers to sit on their
site they will get more people to sign up with them... Heh, not in my case!
:].

I see no problem with putting a redirect into the Apache config files, and
if this was my server, chances are that I would use that approach.
[Actually, if you look at the kids pages that I've developed for the
Farmington Community Library at http://metronet.lib.mi.us/fcl/youth/ you
will find yourself being bounced off to our NT server at
http://www.youth.fh.metronet.lib.mi.us]

Vladislav Davidzon
Please visit my site at http://www.davidzon.com [note the Z]