Hypercard for IBM

Bennett, David bennett at rmcnet.robert-morris.edu
Mon Aug 10 16:41:30 EDT 1998

>Can anyone recommend a scripting/authoring tool similar to Hypercard for
>IBM systems (please no laughter from MAC users)

     I have used Asymetrix Toolbook for years (http://www.asymetrix.com).
 The openscript language is very similar to Hypercard (okay, so it was a
direct ripoff, in my opinion).   There are two versions of Toolbook now
on the market, one is the Assistant (you drag and drop buttons,
questions, text, etc., from a catalog) and the Instructor (allows you to
edit the openscript code as well as the drag and drop features).
Assistant is easier to use, however Instructor gives you more programming
control of objects.

     Toolbook allows you to create online tutorials and interactive
quizes (among other things).  The newest version allows you to save your
files as HTML/JAVA.  There is a seachable archive of the TOOLB-L at
http://www.biocom.arizona.edu/tbook/  (as well as FAQs, etc.)

     I know that some people have tried to automatically convert
Hypercard stacks to Toolbook, but I don't think the process is straight
forward.

David Bennett  (bennett at robert-morris.edu)
Systems Support & Instruction Librarian
Robert Morris College Library