authenticating Netscape Communicator users under IIS and Frontpag e 98

Harrison, Roger rharrison at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Mon Aug 10 17:07:39 EDT 1998

To LIBNT-L and WEB4LIB:

Strange problem.  I've searched the archives of various lists and haven't
seen anything relevant.

I'm setting up IIS 4.0 to serve FrontPage 98 webs for our Library intranet,
so I'm trying to block unauthorized users from viewing the pages.  I can't
seem to setup the authentication properly so that it allows Netscape 4.05
users to view after inputting their usernames and passwords.

I assumed that, if I set FP to allow only registered users to browse the
webs, and then added the users into the Permissions area for the web, all
would be well.  The NTFS permissions for the folder on the web server get
updated properly by FP, but Netscape users cannot authenticate themselves.
Microsoft Internet Explorer users have no problem.

I have also tried adjusting the permissions at the server level, by removing
anonymous access and requiring clear-text passwords (instead of NT
challenge-response), but this also seems to make no difference.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious here.  Any ideas?  Please copy me
directly if you send a response to either list.

Roger Harrison          P.O. Box 4150
Network Analyst         Fullerton, CA 92834-4150
Cal State Fullerton     Voice: 714-278-2666
University Library      Fax:   714-278-2439

mailto:rharrison at fullerton.edu
http://rharrison.fullerton.edu/