Is HTML Code Copyrighted?

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 27 18:17:15 EDT 1998

Good Afternoon,

   I just spent some time going the archives
to see if this discussion has come up, but I was
not able to find anything.

   Much of the discussion regarding copyright and
the Internet has centered on content. However, little
has been discussed about the issue of copyright
and Web site design and layout.

   I have come across a few Web sites which prohibit
the alteration and use of the HTML code used to create
their site  (cnet.com), but to what extent is the HTML
code which creates the layout of a Web page copyrighted?
Are Web page layouts automatically covered by copyright?

  Given the norm of Web publishing is to reveal the source
code of a Web page and to create a new page around it,
do Web page authors in fact violate copyright in doing so?
Is the changing a few HTML codes for local use and adding
in new content actually creating a derivative work?

  I would be interested in any comments as well as direction
to any resources which discuss this issue.

-Eric

Eric Schnell
Assistant Professor
Head, Automation Services