Filtering--thanks; it ain't over

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Apr 25 08:22:44 EDT 1998

Thanks due to both Lois Ann Gregory and Judith Meyers for getting the word
out on the questionnaire about filtering in libraries on USA Today's
website.  Looking at it, it's hard to determine when the deadline is; it
appears to be a WEEKLY questionnaire, but the date is hard to determine.
If it was really posted first on 8/24, as the date-stamp suggests, then we
have six more days to respond.

I appreciate USA Today acknowledging that we are "grappling"--that is a
good term for it.

What I noticed:

It was indeed at 40% disapproval at 6 p.m. EST
By 8:30 p.m. EST, it was at 50% disapproval
By 8:00 a.m. EST today, 8/25, it was at 48% disapproval

(I think I will start printing these out and following them!)

The URL:   http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/question/question.htm

At any event, it's interesting to see such widespread acknowledgment that
libraries can offer networked information.
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Garfield on the Web: http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield