MS Proxy Server and OCLC FirstSearch

rpage at okway.okstate.edu rpage at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Apr 21 22:16:06 EDT 1998

   Hi! I am having a weird, frustrating problem and am (finally!) wondering if
   any of you have run into this.

   We have a number of machines that we limit their access to the Internet to
   a specified number of sites. We also have a number of others without these
   restrictions. The ones that are limited are accessing the net through
   Microsoft Proxy Server (v1.0) running on NT4SP3 and IIS (v3.0).
      In both cases, the clients are Netscape Navigator (v4.04) running on
   Windows95B, with Fortres (v3.x), and Navigator (exe and resdll.dll) has
   been altered to prevent access to certain functions.

   On both types of machines, accessing all of our fee-based (FirstSearch,
   ProQuest, SearchBank, etc.) is possible. The ones that are not going
   through the Proxy server cannot print, so most of our students use the
   other machines.
      We also use a UNIX (AIX) workstation to run the OCLC WebScript (cgi)
   program. Since we have two different licenses, we cannot move to IP
   checking, but I don't think that this would help -- I have checked and if I
   access the scripts directly from the UNIX server, everything works like it
   should, but if I tell the client to do the same thing accessing the Proxy
   server, I get the behavior I will describe below.

   On the limited machines, and only with FirstSearch, I am having a very
   strange problem. After getting logged in, and the available databases are
   showing, the pages never finish loading. This includes the initial screen
   and every subsequent screen. I've checked on staff workstations, and if
   they go through the Proxy server, with either Netscape (v3.x, 4.04, or
   4.05) or MS IE (v4.01), they get the same behavior.
      I have spent much of today checking and playing with every possible
   parameter for the Proxy server. I have updated the scripts to the very
   latest version. I have even tried changing which port the service works
   through, but nothing changes this behavior.
      It is very frustrating to our users. Although, after clicking on the
   STOP button, searches can be performed. This happens on every page. About
   the last thing I think I can do, is to try a different Proxy server.

   Has anyone seen this behavior? How were you able to resolve it? Any
   pointers will be helpful.

   Thank you,
              Richard

    Richard M. Page                         | Voice      (405) 744-5347
    Head, Library Systems Department        | Fax        (405) 744-7579
    224A Library, Oklahoma State University |
    Stillwater, OK 74078-1070               | E-Mail: rpage at okway.okstate.edu