Viruses

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Fri Apr 17 17:50:51 EDT 1998

>Can anyone confirm this assertation?  It has always been my understanding
>that files have to be read to spread a virus.  We have our WinNT
>workstations
>locked down so users can write to the A: drive, but cannot open any files.
>Technically a save file dialog box has to read the directory of a disk to
>display its contents.  But are there know viruses that can spead from
merely
>a directory read?

At a prior position in a major university we have a virus problem at one
point.  The virus in question (never did name it) infected the boot sector
and the FAT.  So, if you read the directory of a floppy your machine was
infected.  (Real fun cleaning that one up...)

           Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
       Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
            Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
                www.bcr.org/~msauers
           The WWW Library Directory is @
           www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
  "Never underestimate the Internet. Manipulate it.
     Respect it. But don't try to dominate it."
            -Jerry Yang (Yahoo! Founder)
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.