Public Internet access and floppy drives

MZaruba malp at startext.net
Fri Apr 17 13:00:36 EDT 1998

After much debate, our library opted to not allow downloads of any kind.  At
first we did, but we would have to disable our Full Armor software & then
stand over patrons while they did they downloading & that just was not
feasible.  And if you down stand there, they have full access to everything
& they change things around until it requires a good deal of staff time to
repair their tinkerings.

When we did allow downloading, we had them buy a disk, at cost, from us each
time.  Absolutely no floppies from outside were allowed.

Really, once people realized the reason for the policy, we didn't have any
problems or complaints.

Marilyn Zaruba