Ikiosk and conflicts with other software's security features (OVID)

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Apr 16 09:57:34 EDT 1998

We have been using Ikiosk (probably an earlier version--I haven't
touched workstation configuration in months) on all of our public
workstations (all 486DX-66s with 8MB RAM), along with the following
software:

  Fortres 101
  Netscape 3.0x (32-bit)
  EWAN telnet client
  QWS3270 (free version) 3270 emulator
  Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.x (32-bit)
  Everybody's Catalog (Carl Corp.)
  NoveList (Carl Corp.)
  Electric Library client (Infonautics)

We have experienced no conflicts, and it has permitted us to "kiosk"
applications in ways that no other software has.

In the next round of workstation software upgrades I plan to include
WinSelect, possibly to replace Fortres 101.

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian
Houston Public Library
Houston, TX  77002