WIN 95: Security: how can I hide My Computer.

Vladislav S. Davidzon davidzon at MetroNet.lib.mi.us
Wed Apr 15 12:47:26 EDT 1998

This is precisely what we decided to do.  Rather than waste my time trying
to secure the browsers, I simply secured them with the system policies,
updated off the network NT server.  It also saved us quite a bit since we
don't have to buy NT for those machines (the public ones). Now, I am just
waiting for someone to hack in.  The systems policy editor can do just about
anything that you can do with the registry, and I am probably going to end
up writing my own policies for some things, like icon rename, etc.

-Vladislav

.-----Original Message-----
.From: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
.[mailto:web4lib at library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Kyle Harriss
.Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 11:03 AM
.To: Multiple recipients of list
.Subject: Re:WIN 95: Security: how can I hide My Computer.
..
.We had been using FoolProof in our library, but gave it up in
.favor of a different solution.
..
.We now use the Poledit option to hide all items on the desktop.
.Our patrons use the Start Menu.  Our wallpaper directs them to
.it with a few words.
..
.We no longer lock down the PCs beyond what is possible with PolEdit.
.It isn't a huge challenge for someone who knows what they are doing to
.get around this security.. but it isn't often done, and unauthorized
.changed get cleared because..
..
.We have adopted a strategy of "rebuild on bootup" and "rebuild on demand"
.via a software package called PC-Rdist.
..
.--
..
.Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu