Remove From List

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 12 15:47:24 EDT 1998

As a matter of public policy (and common sense), I make every attempt to
avoid getting into p*ss*ng contests with skunks, particularly on the Net.
But this individual's last couple of posts have been so rude and ignorant
that I feel compelled to speak up.

When you subscribe to this list (and most similarly well-tended lists), you
receive a welcome message that details, among other things, how to
unsubscribe, should you later come to realize that the list does not meet
your needs.  You need to save this message -- whether you print it out and
file it away, or stash the digital version in a folder somewhere on your
hard drive.  This message also contains information about whom to contact if
you have trouble unsubscribing by following the instructions contained
therein.  There is also information about the list's home page, at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/ , which offers very detailed
information on the operation of this list.

Okay.  You've lost the original message you received.  Well, FAQs
(compliments of Mr. Dowling) are posted intermittently as well.  If all else
fails, crank up a search engine and type in "web4lib" -- an unusual term
that should lead you promptly to the list archives and/or home page, where
you can at least find out who the list owner is, and send a polite e-mail
asking for help in getting unsubscribed.  (Been there, done that, when I
changed e-mail addresses and experienced problems converting my
subscription.)

I took a look at Mr. Stone's Web page.  He portrays himself as an
Internet/Web hotshot of sorts.  However, he seems unable to manage something
as basic as signing off a list without resorting to overt rudeness.  I'm
sure I am not the only member of this list who was put off by this message.
As I tell my sons repeatedly -- in my ongoing parental attempt to stimulate
an impetus toward civilized behavior -- a little common courtesy goes a long
way.  It makes people feel good.  It takes the edge off the harshness of the
in-your-face world in which we exist.

And in the immortal words of my mother (and likely, almost everyone else's
mother), "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Sigh.

Shirl Kennedy (stepping down from soapbox to resume doing laundry)
Internet Waves columnist -- Information Today
Shirl's Best Bets --
http://www.ala.org/editions/openstacks/bestbet/index.html
shirl at informingyou.com
informingyou...  [WATCH THIS SPACE]