Looking for Web site indexing software

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Thu Apr 9 08:03:50 EDT 1998

Luc Grondin wrote:
> I am looking for software for indexing part of a Web site.  The particular
> feature I am looking for is the ability to index fields.  These fields
> could be determined by metadata in the HTML files.
>
> I would be mostly interested by freeware solutions at this point.  I have
> looked at 'ht://dig' but it does not seem to allow field searching.

Luc,

I'm currently experimenting with InMagic's DB/Text Spider (they've
partnered with Lycos on this).  It should do what you want.  However,
it's not free, requires NT, as well as InMagic's WebPublisher, and if
you want to tailor it, you'll need Inmagic DB/Textworks.  If you have to
buy all 3 products, then it could cost you around $13,000 Canadian.  Of
course the price is lower if you already have some of the components -
the WebPublisher is the most expensive part.

My experience with these type of products proves the old adage that you
get what you pay for - but if you're already an InMagic user, then this
is a great price for what you get.  I already had DB/Textworks and the
WebPublisher, so buying the Spider product was not a difficult decision
to make.

You can check out their web site at http://www.inmagic.com/

Cheers,

Tim

P.S. Although you'll find links to two articles I co-authored with my
colleague, Margaret Gross, at our Satellite Systems Divsion, on
InMagic's website, I have no financial interest in the company.  I'm
just a satisfied customer.

--
Tim Tripp, Librarian
Spar Space Systems Robotics Division