Public Access PCs in Academic Libraries - HELP!

Katherine Furlong kfurlong at maine.maine.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:51:03 EDT 1998

My Library Director asked me to post the following question to you, in
hopes that we can get some information to use in our next round of meetings.

* * * * *
"At the University of Maine at Farmington, we are putting 20 new Windows 95
PCs in our public areas.  These machines would be used to access our new
Web-based catalog and magazine indexes, as well as general Internet
searching.  Campus e-mail, word processing and other services will not be
offered.

Providing Internet access is causing concern for our computing center,
which provides hardware and network support for us.  I have gotten into a
disagreement with the computer center folks over network security.  They
are wanting Novell network authentication to the level of the user
(password, network ID), and possibly using a filter (such as Bess) in case
any children use our system (Our recent capital campaign opened our library
to the community, in exchange for a million bucks.).  We in the library are
opposed to a filter such as Bess, nor do we want to have users reboot the
machines and authenticate to search the Web or look at our Web-based
gateway.  The administration is now involved, but most of the technical
expertise lies with the computer center, so I need input from other
librarians on how network security, authentication, and access to children
is handled.  I am willing to compromise and allow just searching from our
terminals and using a product such as IKIOSK to limit e-mail and chat
rooms, but even this is a problem for our computer center.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for our situation, or examples of
how you cope with these issues?  Thanks.  Frank Roberts, Library Director."

Katherine Furlong                   <> Mantor Library, 41 High St.
User Education and                  <> Farmington, ME  04938
     Electronic Resources Librarian <> kfurlong at maine.maine.edu
University of Maine at Farmington   <> 207-778-7224