offline browsers redux -- something new to try

per funke per.funke at hoe.se
Sat Apr 18 12:02:46 EDT 1998

Just to balance the advertisments a little...
you can also try GoAhead's software 'GotIt' to do the same thing for you not
only for
one page but for the whole or parts of the site.
(They don't pay me for saying this..)
For one page alone you can do 'Edit Page' in Netscape and if you save to
a new folder you'll have all the graphics and things in one place, it doesn't
cost
you anything..
One problem needed to point out is that often graphics are stored at the website

with a header written to the beginning of the file telling the software on the
distributing server how it should present it to the surfer. When downloaded
to you own machine this file is not readable with your browser due to the
extraneous information in the beginning (Netscape presents a crashed pane,
Explorer a button with a red 'X'). It can be edited away with an hex editor
but I think most people tend to use their weekend to other things...
I suppose the SurfSaver can't help you with this problem or am I wrong??
I'll just have to try the SurfSaver and see.

Regards Per

--
Per Funke
Systems Technician, University of Orebro, Library