Preventing Renaming of Icons

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Wed Apr 8 19:14:05 EDT 1998

>I have a rather curious question.  I just started working with the
>Microsoft Zero Administration Kit together with the Internet Explorer
>Administration Kit to configure our public browsers.  What I can't seem to
>figure out is how do I stop the users from changing the names of icons on
>the desktop?   Everything else seems to be 100% secure, except for this
>little bug.

Oh, so it's not just me. :-)  I can tell you the answer is not disabling access
to the properties menu (which contains a rename command), which you can do with
NT Service Pack 3.  It is still possible to rename them by clicking on them in
just the right way.  (This appears to require some coordination, which is
probably why I didn't find this out myself.)

I also tried hunting in the Registry for the icon's name, and setting the
permissions on the key to read only.  That didn't work either.

We had a number of people doing this after we put the machines out for the
public - I figured it was because it was the only thing they *could* do,
everything else being sealed up.  Fortunately, the attraction seems to have
faded, and it's been at least a month since I've found a nameless icon.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org