public I'net access -- news article

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Apr 3 11:55:56 EST 1998

Shirl,

As one of those Detroit area libraries racing to keep up with the public
demand for Internet use (over 600 users last month on 2 terminals - we
just added a 3rd and in a relatively affluent community where many homes
have computers and access to both dial-up and cable Internet connections),
I would second many of the concepts presented by the article.

We have tried to liberalize our rules (allowing e-mailers, chat) to make
the library as a point where you can access the Internet for any of your
needs.  Our "out-of-towners" include foreign exchange students,
business transferees, and others who home addresses include Austria,
England and Brazil.  I think their ability to keep in touch with people
back homes makes their stay that much more pleasant and proves that the
library serves everyone.  I don't think the day is far off when open
access to Internet services is the expectation of the majority of users.

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI