Best image software

Jason Clabaugh jclabaug at mail.xula.edu
Wed Apr 29 09:59:58 EDT 1998

At 01:37 PM 4/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>What do you think is the best all-around software for
>manipulating images for ultimate use on web pages?
>By this I mean something oriented to producings gifs
>and jpegs from all manner of source formats (TIFF,
>PICT, EPS, etc etc) without great losses in quality,
>something that lets you resize, crop, adjust contrast,
>and so on without requiring you to have a master's
>degree in graphic arts or optical sciences.

	Well, I don't know about the *ultimate* software for manipulating images,
but I've had remarkably good results with L-View Pro.  It's a nice little
shareware program that allow for quick manipulation of images, crops, batch
conversions of one file type to another and a very simple method for
creating transparent GIFs.  I am assuming, however, that you want to simply
manipulate images and not create them from scratch.  It isn't a very useful
tool for creating images.  L-View Pro is shareware (available for less than
$25 if I remember correctly) and can be found a number of places on the
Web, including shareware.com.  I would at least recommend that you download
an evaluation copy and play around with it for awhile.

Jason Clabaugh
Systems Librarian
Xavier University of Louisiana
New Orleans, LA 70125