byte-serving

Greg MacGowan macgowan at BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Apr 14 17:39:16 EDT 1998

[This message is being sent to multiple lists. Please excuse any duplication.]

Like many other libraries, we are delivering e-reserves in pdf format
(using Docutek's ERes software). Because OCR is too time- and
labor-intensive, we have been serving them as page images. This means that
the filesizes are large, and students complain about the long download times.

Someone suggested that byte-serving may speed downloading, as students
could download a page at a time, rather than the entire file. However, not
all browsers support byte-serving. Also, there is the extra production step
in "optimizing" files in Exchange. Are there any other disadvantages that
we should know about before we implement this solution? TIA.

Greg S. MacGowan
Information Technologies Coordinator (and Webmaster)
Brandeis University Libraries
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA, USA  02254-9110

phone: (781) 736-4690 (W)
fax:    (781) 736-4719
mailto: macgowan at Brandeis.edu

"You will know when you are calm ... at peace ... passive." -- Yoda