WIN 95: Security: how can I hide My Computer from the desktop

Ken Becker beckerk at pls.lib.ca.us
Tue Apr 14 22:09:49 EDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, TMGB wrote:

> I've checked the archives and found
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu:8000/Security/win95/index.html
> That page states that there is not yet a resolve to this situation.  If

Afraid I don't have an answer to this part - I too have been unable to get
rid of "My Computer" and have resorted to hiding all icons on the desktop,
and running from the Start Menu, but...

> to fix that.  If I disable the desktop and make the only interface the
> start menu, files from web links get saved to the start menu when save
> file is chosen.  So_

I've gotten around this part by using the 16-bit version of Netscape,
which still uses the netscape.ini file.  In there is a line (something
like) DEFAULT SAVE DIR = , which I set to c:\temp, and then set
netscape.ini as read-only. It doesn't prevent someone from intentionally
typing in c:\windows\etc. as a filename, but does help prevent accidental
saving to anywhere but c:\temp.

In addition, I use the control panel "tweakui" to hide the b:, c:, d:,
etc. drives from My Computer, which also hides them in the "Save" dialog
box.  Thus, when choosing a drive to save in, only the a: drive appears in
the pull menu.  (this is from memory, but I'm pretty sure tweakui is
what's doing the trick)  Of course, c:\temp is still the default save
directory even though it doesn't appear.

Hope this helps
Ken Becker
Menlo Park Public Lib.