Branch techie job specs 2

bs91 Barbara_G_SMITH at umail.umd.edu
Tue Apr 14 21:04:00 EDT 1998

Earlier in the week I posted a request for job specifications for branch
staff who are assigned technical tasks related to the care and
troubleshooting of hardware.  I am also interested in competency lists that
libraries have prepared and trained staff to.

One respondant suggested that more specific information about what kind of
equipment and platform is needed.  So, briefly, here is where we are and
where we are going:

Demographics:  21 branches in a countywide library system serving 800,000
residents.

Current:  approximately 400 dumb terminals connected to a CARL online system
that uses an x.25 network, plus peripherals (scanners and dot matrix printers).
Approx. 100 Pentium PC's connected to an ISDN WAN for Web access (half are
on information desks, half for public use.)  DeskJet printers are linked to the
PC's. We just installed a 12 station computer lab for training the public on
the basics of the Web. They are on the same WAN, use Pentium PC's, and, unlike
the "public" Web PC's, they are not locked down with security software.

Future (we're 15 months from the proposed cutover date):  650 PC's in a
fully graphical environment, Web front end with PAC, electronic databases
and Web access.  PC's available for public use will need some security
software.  We hope that library functions like circulation and
technical services will also be GUI-based.  A new telco network will deliver
at least T-1 to each branch (there will be 22 by then). Peripherals will
include barcode scanners, printers, and hopefully some self-charge machines.

At the heart of my question is how start building an effective cadre of
trained staff in every branch so that they can handle the day-to-day
maintenance of the equipment, plus do troubleshooting/problem-solving within
reasonable limits.  A central technical staff (which is already in place,
capable, but logistically is limited in what they can do hands-on) will back
up the front line folks and be responsible for the next levels of
troubleshoot/problem-solve tasks.  In considering the front line staff we
will need to make decisions about job descriptions and, perhaps,
classifications, as well as training needed.

How are others dealing with these kinds of needs?

Barbara Smith

Barbara G. SMITH             Chief of Technical Services
voice:  301/217-3806          Montgomery County Department of Public Libraries
fax:    301/217-3895          99 Maryland Avenue
e-mail: bs91 at umail.umd.edu    Rockville, MD 20850
e-mail: smithb at co.mo.md.us