about:global command in Netscape

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:50:18 EDT 1998

Nancy J. Keane -

>My question:  Is there a way to delete the file so that the about:global
>doesn't work?  If so, what file is it?  Does anyone who uses FoolProof know
>how to protect this file so it can't be deleted?
>
>We use Netscape 3.0 on our machines.

The file you're looking for (or someone else found, in your case) is
"netscape.hst" (Win) or "Global History" (Mac). We make a point of deleting
it every time Netscape is started, to prevent subsequent users from seeing
where previous users have been.

Finding the correct copy of netscape.hst can be tricky - Netscape (at least
3.x) allows you to specify a location for the history file, but then
ignores that specification in favor of the installation directory as
configured in the registry. That had us scratching our heads for a while.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison
General Library System Automation Services
pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291