Patron Internet session time control

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Mon Apr 6 06:51:17 EDT 1998

"Karen G. Schneider" <kgs at bluehighways.com> writes:
>Meantime, speaking of resource allocation... for those of you using
access
>management software (such as WinU or WinKiosk) to control time on public
>workstations, what do you do if the patron needs more time?

I have WinU set up so that it reminds a patron, about 25 minutes into
the session, that her or his half-hour session is almost up.  It doesn't
actually terminate Netscape at the half hour mark because access
is first-come first-serve and sessions may go longer if no one is
immediately scheduled to come on a terminal.  Besides, if a patron
initiates a print or some other activity 28 minutes into the session,
we can do without the added problems of such activities terminated
prematurely, particularly if no other patron is coming on.  This feature
of WinU has been great, and even our "regulars" know to get ready at
that point to log off, just in case other patrons are scheduled to
succeed
them.  Our librarians are also empowered to grant additional time to
patrons should the need arise.  These items are also encoded in our
acceptable use policy.

Robert J. Tiess
Middletown Thrall Library
http://www.thrall.org