Trend in design - TOTI (Summary)

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Wed Sep 24 18:41:08 EDT 1997

Somehow I completely missed this thread, so let me apologize in advance to
Eric and the list for my likely misconstrual of the TOTI concept.

After reviewing the example sites, I think TOTI has value for many cases.
For example, it could be especially useful for repeat users who understand
what the site is for; it's also useful for sites which offer reference or
research content.  And it's great for conveying a lot of information on
the limited and prime real estate of a site's main page.

But I'm not sure I'd ever apply a pure version of this architecture for a
site that has new users who aren't clear what the site is there for;
descriptions of links are good at providing context for links and can help
illuminate the site's mission to new users.  The importance of educating
or "marketing" a site to first-time visitors can't be overstated,
regardless of whether the site is informational or purely commercial.
Also, this design doesn't seem to provide a way to inform users of news,
announcements, and changes that are outside the purely informational
hierarchy that the TOTI approach displays on the main page.

It's important to consider the different and at times diametrically
opposed needs of a site's major audiences, as well as the fact that a
site's content usually doesn't fit neatly into a single hierarchy.  Site
designers should consider which of the available navigational approaches
(e.g., the TOTI approach, which is similar to a table of contents, a
simpler set of main page options, a site index, a site map, and a search
engine) in light of the content at hand and audience needs before
architecting a site.

Just my .02. ;-)

Louis Rosenfeld                                             lou at argus-inc.com
Argus Associates, Inc.                                   http://argus-inc.com
109 Catherine Street                                   voice: +1.313.913.0010
Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA                                fax: +1.313.213.8082

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web  (L. Rosenfeld & P. Morville)
O'Reilly & Associates; Jan 1998.      http://www.ora.com/catalog/infotecture/