Networking CD-ROMs

Dean C. Rowan wpl at quick.net
Wed Sep 24 08:42:56 EDT 1997

Cynthia at Englewood Public asked:

> Does anyone have experience doing this in a Windows '95 environment?
> I have a small library and want to begin networking our OPAC's,
> stand-alones, typewriters. <G>

I have been hoping to set up a very simple Windows95 peer-to-peer
"network," but circumstances keep changing.  I would think that once
you've gotten beyond, say, three or four workstations, you will want
to introduce "real" networking software.

We do have a small network for CD-ROM products running Novell
3.something-or-other with Windows95 on the workstations.  I did not
build the network but I looked over the shoulder of the guy who did.
There are some problems getting Windows95 and Novell to operate
together harmoniously, it seems, but the network is so simple that it
tends to run alright as long as other factors don't interrupt, e.g.,
defective drives or SCSI cards.

The guy who built the network is with a vendor here in southern
California, APS, whose real business is venda-card machines.  That
is, they attach machines to your printers, copiers, workstations and,
yes, even typewriters, which allow folks to use magnetically stripped
cards to which they "add" value a buck at a time.  Great idea, once
people get used to the technology.  What I'm getting at is that you
may have a similar sort of vendor in your neck of the woods.  APS
brought in four copiers, two LANs, three microform reader/printers
and two PC workstations at no charge.  We give them a sizable cut of
the take until we earn commissions for higher revenues.  Furthermore,
the people at APS are very patient, pleasant to work with and
knowledgeable.  So, there's a plug for APS.

> I'm looking for a "favorite vendor" to buy my CD jukeboxes from, any
> suggestions?

You probably don't mean "jukeboxes" if that term means what I think
it means, namely, CD changer.  Jukeboxes store many CDs--six, ten,
hundreds--but play only one at a time.  That sorta undermines the
idea of a network.  More likely you mean "tower."  (I could be
wrong.)

There is a company in the San Francisco area, SCS Technologies, I
think, with whom I recently had a discussion about CD-ROM towers,
networks and hard drives.  This company claims to have developed a
sort of hybrid solution to networking CD-ROM publications.  They use
towers for some products, jukeboxes for others--e.g., children's
multi-media titles--and hard drive storage for others.  They claim to
have developed software which copies CD-ROM data to the hard drive
maintaining the CD's ISO 9660 format.  (Please don't ask me if I know
what I'm talking about.)  Readers of this list may be able to
elaborate from there.  Ultimately, as one message has already noted,
reading the data from the hard drive is faster than from the CD-ROM,
and massive hard drive prices are not exceedingly high.

Dean C. Rowan
Whittier Public Library