Results of EbscoHost & ProQuest Satisfaction

David Glick glickd at holly.hsu.edu
Wed Sep 24 15:14:21 EDT 1997

I apologize for not summarizing the results to the list sooner; I have
too many hats to wear.

I received 12 responses to my query of how satisfied individuals are with
EbscoHost and/or ProQuest.  Unless otherwise stated all references to
ProQuest, EbscoHost and Searcbank are for the web version.

Four of the responses recommended that my institution evaluate IAC's
Searchbank before we made a decision.  Unfortunately, we could not even
consider that option because of the price.  Some of the comments on
Searchbank follow:

Tacoma Community College preferred the level of indexing performed and
the easy interface which has two ways of searching:  EZTrac and
PowerTrac.  Searchbank's coverage overlaps Wilson's Humanities, General
Science, and Social Science print indexes.

Thousand Oaks Public Library evaluated all three services and chose the
UNIX version of InfoTrac (an IAC product).  Even though it was more
expensive than the other two, its flexible search capabilities were the
defining feature for them (e.g. able to view results by date and narrow
with additional search terms or display arranged by subheadings or veiw
related subjects).  They said they had a tough choice between EbscoHost
and InfoTrac.

Ouachita Parish Public Library as a member of a consortium also evaluated
all three products and at the advice of the selection committee, the
consortium chose Searchbank.  They like IAC's customer support and IAC's
willingness to work with a wide variety of needs for diverse systems.

Five responses I received were from institutions that have EbscoHost.

Gloucester County College Library liked EbscoHost fine.  Their only
problem was that the user must print full-text articles a few pages at a
time.  They chose EbscoHost because it was more affordable once they got
in on a regionwide consortium.

St. Norbert College Library performed a comparison between EbscoHost and
ProQuest.  The full-text of this comparison is available at
http://www.snc.edu/~drewch/online.htm.  Another college performed a
comparison between the two aformentiond services and Searchbank.  The
results of this comparison are also available at this site.

Another academic library chose EbscoHost over ProQuest because in her own
words "they are expensive."  She commented that they both have an easy to
use interface. They are using the Windows interface for EbscoHost and
commented how wonderful the tech support people have been at Ebsco.

I received four responses concerning ProQuest:

Thousand Oaks Public Library evaluated all three services and felt that
ProQuest was a good idea that was not executed well.  They felt that it
was difficult to narrow the search to get precise results and when a
broad search was performed, they could only view 200 hits - in other
words, only a couple of months worth of citations.  But what they
disliked most was that when you looked at a citation, you could not
return to the spot you were in the list of citations.  The interface
returned them all the way back to the first search strategy they used.

Robert Morris College Library chose ProQuest because they liked the
quality of the product and ProQuest matched EbscoHost's price.  From
their perspective, the indexing quality was better than EbscoHost and
they liked the image delivery capabilities.  They liked the greater
number of journals that EbscoHost offered and its interface but felt that
the coverage ProQuest offered was a better fit for their periodicals
collection.  It was a tough decision for them between the two products.

Trinity College Library also went with ProQuest because they felt the
academic content was stronger, even though EbscoHost's interface was
"universally felt to be superior."

And lastly, I received a comment from Humboldt State University Library
which had evaluated EbscoHost and ProQuest and did not choose either.
They stayed with their current service.  Everyone there liked EbscoHost's
interface but did not like the pop content.  And their problem with
ProQuest was "onscreen chargeback information" and the fact that they
didn't have a good print in place.

FYI:
We chose EbscoHost for a number of reasons.  We liked its interface and
the journal coverage closely matched our own holdings.  One of the major
things that we didn't like about ProQuest was the screen which asked you
a second time how you want to view a citation, abstract, or full-text.
Although you have already chosen it once, it asks for it again and the
second screen confused us, so we knew that our students would be
confused.
Other than the interface problem and the fact that ProQuest was more
expensive than EbscoHost, we based some of our decison on the evalution
mentioned above.  See http://www.snc.edu/~drewch/online.htm.

Hope this summary helps.  I appreciate everyone's comments and good luck
in your decisions.

If anyone has any further questions, please email me.

David Glick

David Glick
Huie Library
Henderson State University